Ways to ventilate your home
- The simplest and cheapest way to ventilate your home is to open doors and windows regularly to allow fresh air from outside into your home.
- In summer, open windows and doors in different parts of your home to create a cross-draught, which will circulate air and help keep your house cool.
- In winter, air your house at least once a day for a few minutes with wide open doors and windows to create a cross-draught. This will quickly replace stale indoor air with fresh outdoor air.
- To avoid condensation problems, ventilate when you turn off the heating, e.g. before you leave the house in the morning and just before you go to bed at night.
- Ventilation will remove moisture from everyday living most effectively when your home is heated properly, because warm air can absorb more moisture than cold air.
Sort your bathroom, kitchen and laundry ventilation
- If possible, have good extraction systems in the wet areas in the home or make sure the window is left open to completely air the room after use (bathroom, laundry and kitchen).
- Leaving the bathroom window open slightly allows air flow into the bathroom and will improve any extractor fan's effectiveness.