10 February 2020
Note: for the most recent information see our main novel coronavirus page.
Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield gave media an update on New Zealand’s response to novel coronavirus.
- Dr Bloomfield reiterated the importance of Healthline’s register for those in self-isolation, as a result of their travel to China.
- Dr Bloomfield says registering will help those in self-isolation as much as it helps the Ministry of Health– it will mean we can regularly check on people’s welfare and wellbeing as well as helping support New Zealand’s overall response to novel coronavirus.
- Healthline has had a big surge in call numbers and has put extra staff on to cope with the increase in demand for the service.
- Dr Bloomfield is confident as awareness of the register grow, more people will register.
- Dr Bloomfield also told media that planning has now begun to return 59 of the guests who aren’t from New Zealand, to their own countries – predominately in the Pacific Islands.
Watch the entire media-stand up below