12 February 2020
Note: for the most recent information see our main novel coronavirus page.
- Dr Bloomfield updated media on the World Health Organization's new name for novel coronavirus. It is now COVID-19.
- Dr Bloomfield reiterated the Ministry of Health would be actively contacting arrivals into New Zealand who had not yet accessed Healthline's new self-isolation register. Registering will help those in self-isolation as much as it helps the Ministry of Health– it will mean Healthline can regularly check on people’s welfare and wellbeing as well as helping support New Zealand’s overall response to novel coronavirus.
- Andrew Slater reiterated the importance of Healthline’s register for those in self-isolation, as a result of their travel to China. Healthline has put extra staff on to cope with the increase in demand for the service, and has the capacity to expand the resource further should there be a need.
- Andrew Slater advised that since the Healthline register was set up on Friday at 5pm until midnight on Tuesday, there had been 1897 registrations.
- Dr Bloomfield outlined the work of the three laboratories in New Zealand currently testing for COVID-19.
- Dr Bloomfield advised the Ministry of Health is reviewing travel restrictions every 48 hours.